Playalinda Beach Whiting

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Several people told me that they were murdering the Playalinda Beach whiting during the incoming tide.

Today I decided to take their advice and catch a few for dinner.

According to the solunar tables, the peak fishing period was 11:58 a.m. however I missed it by about two hours. I didn't get out to Canaveral National Seashore until about 1:30 p.m. and because of the line of cars waiting to get into the beach, it was another half hour before I actually wet a line.

I stopped at lots #8, #9, and #11 in order to see what was biting and how the fishermen were doing. For the most part no one was really taking a lot of fish.



Because of Memorial Day, there was a lot of beach activity at all the lots and except for a few serious fishermen, most of the guys I spoke with didn't know the first thing about surf fishing.



The serious fishermen I spoke with caught a variety of fish from bluefish, a few whiting, a banjo shark, a sail catfish and a bonnet head.

Unfortunately, they were leaving the beach. They said the bite had slowed down to a halt and the surf was getting a little too rough. Not really a good time to catch a mess of whiting!

Anyway, I was already here so I took some pics of the beach activity and finally wet a line at lot #9.

I baited up one of my river rods with peeled shrimp and started flipping the light rig in very shallow water, gradually moving farther out into the closest trough. Since the tide was well on its way out and the wind was blowing in, the waves were getting serious.



I had several bites in one trough but only hooked a couple small whiting before the bite stopped.


I got tired battling the waves so I decided to head home via Bio Lab road and try for a redfish or a seatrout.

There was a serious fire going on at KSC but no one seemed to know what was going on. I took some pics and moved on to Bio Lab road.




As I drove past the Whales Tail, I spotted some guides doing their thing in the shallows along with a couple of other boats trying their luck.



The water was gin clear today but the weeds were horrific. I stopped at one of my favorite wading spots and started pitching a gold Johnson spoon into the sandy holes.

Despite the weed problem, I managed to bag two slot seatrout and missed a small redfish.

I spooked several seatrout and saw some nice sized sheepshead in the shallows but since I left the shrimp in the truck I never got a chance to try for one.

After about an hour fighting the weeds, I decided to give it up and head for the hacienda.

Evidently this guy liked my gold spoon. He kept following me as I waded the shallows so I took his pic for posterity.



All in all it was a very enjoyable Sunday afternoon.

Till next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: