Tough Fishing Conditions

Monday, May 9, 2011

Despite tough fishing conditions this afternoon, I still managed to bag a few trout from the mosquito control canals in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Mothers day was hot in central Florida. The temperatures ran into the high 80s but the wind made it bearable enough for me to venture out this afternoon and try my luck.

My wife was sore from doing yard work and helping me lay a pallet of sod yesterday and to be perfectly frank, so was I.

Karen opted to stay at home and get some rest while I took off for the Indian River.

I got a late start and didn't get on the water until about 6:30 p.m.

The wind didn't let up like it usually does in the afternoon which made casting somewhat of a challenge.

Because of all the fishing pressure that the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge has been getting, I decided to use my ultra light "Bill Dance" Quantum rod and reel combination that was loaded up with 6# test Red Cajun mono.



I was using a new Creme 2" green glitter paddle tail swim bait that I picked up earlier at WalMart.

Since the trout in the canals have been peppered with every kind of lure known to man, I thought that going "light" with a small bait would give me better luck and I was right.

Within 20 minutes of driving into the area, I hooked and released two slot sized trout.

Both of the fish put up a nice battle on the light line and even gave me a couple of nice jumps before giving it up.

I "jump fished" and within a couple of hundred yards managed to hook a total of six sea trout however, I only landed three of them before the sun set.

The mosquitoes were getting really nasty and a green headed horse fly thought I was dinner, so I decided to get out of the preserve.

On the way out, I spotted some top water action near a duck blind in the Indian River, so I pulled over and got out my other spinning rod that was loaded with a Bagley's "Finger Mullet" top water plug.



I tossed the plug to within a foot of the bank and the water exploded.

After a short battle, I landed the biggest sea trout of the afternoon. It measured in at 25".

Since I didn't feel like cleaning sea trout tonight, I released the fish after unceremoniously taking it's picture in the bed of my truck.

My wife usually helps me with the picture taking duties but since she stayed home, the truck bed picture was the quickest way to go.

Anyway, till next time hope you all are blessed with Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: