Windy Conditions On The River

Saturday, May 28, 2011

The windy conditions on the river today evidently prevented a lot of people from fishing. It did not however stop the wind surfers from enjoying their sport.

Despite the conditions, I decided to try my luck this afternoon on the Indian River for some redfish.

Unlike yesterday's fishing trip the fishing today proved challenging to say the least.

The temperature was in the low 90s and the wind was blowing the river into a light chop which made casting difficult. Not only that, the fish had lockjaw; Big Time!

I fished with artificial jerk baits, top water STORM Rattlin' Chug Bug - 3.25" - Gizzard Shad, SkitterWalks and finally live baits without having any outstanding results to brag about.

On the way into the Merritt Island National Wildlife Preserve I netted a few finger mullet and small ladyfish for bait in case the artificial lures I prefer to use didn't produce. And I'm glad I did.

If it wasn't for the live bait, I probably would have been skunked. Even with the live mullet and ladyfish, the fishing was pretty slow.

I fished three areas today. The flats around Bio Lab road, the shallows around Gator Creek Road and finally Peacocks Pocket road.

Although I spotted fish moving around in the afternoon, I couldn't get anything to bite.

The flats around Gator Creek and Bio Lab road proved to be a waste of time. Perhaps if I had tried fishing these areas later in the day, they might have produced a red or two but in the heat of the early afternoon; the fishing was pretty dismal.

About 6:30 I decided to try my luck at the Pocket. On the way in I netted some bait at a culvert and because it was later in the day I was anticipating better luck .

I drove almost half the length of the road looking for signs of fish and blind casting artificial baits with no success. There were some baitfish being busted by something big but I couldn't get them to hit my lures.

At the fourth stop I switched to a 7" ladyfish and free lined it around a milling bait pod.

After a few minutes the bait took off and I thought I had hooked a large trout. I gave the fish some line before setting the hook and immediately got a jumping fish.

Much to my surprise the fish turned out to be a longnose Garfish.

I fought the fish until it tired and then gingerly pulled it out onto the bank. I took these pics before letting it go back into the depths.



I was really surprised how well the fish fought but was disappointed it wasn't a sea trout.



I moved up the road and fished the same places Karen and I fished yesterday without getting even a nibble.

I finally moved to a place I call Snook Point, for obvious reasons and threw out my last finger mullet.

After about 15 minutes I finally hooked an under sized "Rat" redfish that swallowed the hook.

The fish was bleeding when I got it on the bank so instead of salvaging the hook, I cut the line and released the fish hoping it would survive the day.

With all the alligators I saw in the canal today; I believe that was wishful thinking.

Anyway, I took several pics of the beautiful spoonbills and egrets that were in the area before pulling up stakes and calling it a day.



The windy conditions on the river today proved to be more than I cared for.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.

Till then, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: