The Sea Trout Are Finally Hitting Topwater Baits

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Late Friday my wife and I managed to do a little fishing around Catfish Creek loop and even though we saw a few redfish feeding, they had absolutely no interest in anything we had to offer.

This afternoon I tried to get my wife interested in going fishing but she opted to stay at home; probably because of the lousy luck we had Friday.

I was debating on whether to go to Playalinda Beach and catch a few bluefish for dinner or hit one of the lagoons.

After checking the tide tables, I decided that the lagoon was a better bet; so I packed a few rods, my cast net and my trusty Nikon to see what was hitting.

Since it was almost 6:30 p.m. I headed for the closest fishing hole to get the most out of what was left of the day.

I passed two culverts before I saw any finger mullet that looked worthwhile to cast to and then only got three for my efforts.

Because it was late I didn't bother wasting any more time with the mullet; instead I slowly cased the canal and river on both sides of the unimproved road.

I spooked several redfish before I finally decided to stay with the spot that Karen and I fished on Friday.

I've learned through experience that the reds constantly run the shorelines of both the Indian River and the canal so I stopped the car, baited up with a finger mullet and free lined one rod on the river side.

The air temperature was 85 degrees when I started and there wasn't much wind to cool anything down.

I pulled out one of my other rods and started fan casting a blue Creme paddle tail swim bait on both sides of the road with no luck.

I didn't particularly care to get skunked like we did on Friday, so I switched to a top water plug and started "walking the dog".

On the fourth cast my luck changed and I picked up the slot size sea trout pictured here.

It seems like the sea trout are finally hitting topwater baits like they are supposed to this time of the year.

Even though I was fishing for redfish, I'll never turn down a nice sea trout.

I was going to keep the fish for dinner but I didn't feel like cleaning anything tonight so I released it.

About the time I resumed casting, the drag on the rod with the live mullet started making noise.

I let the fish run a little before setting the hook but somehow managed to miss a nice redfish of about 30". The fish sloshed around once and took off to parts unknown.

I put on the second finger mullet and almost immediately picked up another large sea trout pictured below.


I caught this fish in the canal and it almost got away by heading into the brush along the bank. This trout was a little over 23" and I again returned it to fight another day.

I set out the last finger mullet and continued walking the top water plug with my other rod.

After a short time I picked up another nice sea trout again about 22" which I returned.

About the time it was getting dark and time to leave, a fellow fisherman who I met on Friday showed up and pulled over to talk about the fishing.

Don was wading around the "duck blind" farther up the road and although he saw fish tailing, they apparently weren't interested in eating.

We fished together for a short while until the mosquitoes started eating me up. It never amazes me how they get accustomed to mosquito spray. I think they think its perfume.

Anyway, it was getting dark and I decided to call it a day.

As I was heading out towards Peacocks Pocket boat launch, I saw a huge fish swirl on some baitfish.

I stopped the truck and pulled out my other rod that had a Storm Rattlin' Chug Bug - 3.25" - Gizzard Shad on it and shot a cast upstream from where the fish had busted on the baitfish.

On the third pop the water exploded and a gator trout smashed the lure and jumped right out of the water.

The fish put up a great fight and after about 10 minutes or so I landed this 29 incher below. It actually measured in at a little over 29".


Anyway, I was going to take it home to eat but she was loaded with roe so I released the fish to fight another day. What the hell, a picture is worth a thousand words so I'll eat a ham sandwich instead of a fish sandwich.

Tomorrow is Easter so if I don't get out, have a happy Easter and keep a Tight Line!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: