Scouting Trip To Shiloh Marsh Road

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Yesterday my wife and I planned a scouting trip to Shiloh Marsh Road for the main purpose of locating "fishy looking" areas to launch our Gheenoe.

We crossed the new bridge in Titusville and took the South entrance to the area so we could check out a sheltered deep water canal where kayakers sometimes launch their water craft.

When we first got to the canal at about 3:30 pm, we were the only people in the area; so we pulled out our rods and tried our luck.



There was a slight wind on the northern Indian River, but in the canal nothing was moving.

Karen and I both fished with fresh dead shrimp for a while and neither of us could buy a bite.

Since I hate sitting around, I pulled out my other rods and started tossing D.O.A. shrimp, D.O.A. CAL series jerkbaits, gold spoons and finally a Skitter Walk top water lure. All without a bite.

As were were packing up to move on, a two kayakers paddled up the canal in a matched pair of neat looking catamaran type kayaks. One was red, the other was yellow and both were fitted out for fishing.



I took a couple of videos and after talking with them discovered that they were having no better luck than we were.

We moved on to scout out some other areas and found that even though the potholes in the unimproved road had become deeper after the weeks rain, it didn't have any affect on the amount of vehicle traffic.

There were a lot of people in the area fishing and taking pictures of the wildlife.

To make a long story readable; Karen and I fished several spots throughout Shiloh Marsh road without getting even one bite. However, we did find several great launch areas where we could put in our 15' 6" Gheenoe without too much trouble.

I talked to a few fishermen who were after the bull redfish that cruise the area and none of them were getting any bites.

I don't know if it was because of the rising water or what, but neither the bank fishermen, the guys wading out into the middle of the river, nor the guys poling their flats boats around the shallow mudflats seemed to be having a great deal of success.




I did notice the absence of baitfish in the river, which I'm positive is one reason why the redfish bite in this area was so dismal today.

I did manage to get some pics of the scenery and the beautiful wildlife that I hope you will enjoy.





Although Karen and I didn't catch any fish on today's scouting trip to Shiloh Marsh Road, we did find two new launch areas and some potential fishing hotspots we hadn't tried before.

One thing is sure, there are tons of good redfish in both the Mosquito Lagoon and northern Indian River; today we just didn't get one.

Till next time, hopefully you will have Tighter Lines than I've had recently!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: