Scouting Trip To Peacocks Pocket

Friday, April 15, 2011

After a long drive home, my wife and I decided to scout out Peacocks Pocket to see what people were catching.

Although we didn't get out until about 6:00 p.m. we were hoping to catch some reds or at least a couple of sea trout.

We entered from the east entrance to the shallow water boat launch and stopped briefly at several spots without having even a bite.

The air temperature was still in the low 80s and there was a chop on the Indian River.

Karen was fishing with frozen jumbo shrimp and I was tossing a blue Creme paddle-tail swim bait, a gold Johnson's spoon and several other artificial baits.

Karen was getting bites but losing whatever was hitting and I never got a tap.

We kept moving until we hit "bobcat bay" where we met up with R. Morgan, a very polite Fish & Game officer who checked our licenses but couldn't give us much information on where the fish were biting.

He only said that the fishing in this area was in cycles and that it would eventually pick up.

He left but the fishing never did get any better so we moved to another spot at a culvert.

I saw a small pod of finger mullet scattering for their lives, so I flipped my paddletail lure to the opposite bank and twitched it off the bottom.

After several hops, what I believe was a gator sea trout grabbed the lure and pulled a couple of yards of drag off my reel before the hook pulled out.

I was using 12# Cajun Red main line and about 3 feet of 15# fluorocarbon leader.

I made several dozen casts to the area but never got another hit.

Since it was getting dark and the mosquitoes were eating Elmo, Karen and myself almost to death; we decided to pack it in for the evening and call it a day.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.

Till then,

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: