Duck Blind Redfish

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Finally, after two days of lousy luck, my duck blind redfish broke the streak I was on.

Karen and I didn't get out today until about 4:30, so we again headed for the closest fishing location which happened to be Peacocks Pocket road.

We briefly stopped at two locations where I spotted fish swirling on baitfish near the bank, but the fish had lockjaw and were very spooky.

Our second stop at Catfish Creek Loop was cut short by a large gator that was creating a problem for Karen. The gator kept following her on the bank where ever she stopped to fish.

As we left that area, we spotted the gator below sunning itself on the bank. This one was a bit larger than the one that kept following Karen.



It was getting late and the gnats were starting to really bother Elmo our wonder dog, so we decided to try fishing an area we call the "duck blind".

I was flipping a white D.O.A. ® C.A.L. Jerk Bait on a green jig head with little success. Although I had a few taps from sea trout, I never did get a hit from a redfish.

I switched to a large fresh dead shrimp, as did Karen and after only about five minutes or so watched the line peel off my spinning reel.

The fish put up a nice battle and immediately headed for some stickups. I managed to lead the fish back to open water and after a few minutes landed it on the bank.

It measured in at 25" and if it wasn't for Karen would have been on the dinner table this evening.



She wanted to release it and because I didn't particularly want to clean the fish, it lived to fight another day.

I missed two more reds within 15 minutes of catching the first one and landed a catfish before we decided to head for home.

The no see ums were killing me, Elmo and my wife to a lesser degree.

Skin So Soft worked for her but Elmo and I didn't bother putting any on.

Anyway, I took some pics of the area and this beautiful sunset before calling it an evening.



My "duck blind redfish" finally broke the "skunk" I've been on for the past couple of days.

Hopefully next week will be better.

Till then, Tight Lines to you all!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: