Another Windy Day On The Indian River

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Saturday was too windy to do any serious fishing and because I had just had a flu shot and didn't feel great, I decided to wait until Sunday to do go out to the river.

Well as luck would have it, today was another windy day on the Indian River. It was great for the windsurfers and para-sailers but it wasn't the best day for fishing.


Because of the gusty wind, my wife decided not to go fishing with me. Windy days cause her to leave multicolored Cajun Thunder bobbers all over the trees. Looks kind of like Christmas tree decorations.

Anyway, despite my better judgment I decided to give it a go for a couple of hours around the Pocket area.

The temperature was in the low 60s and the wind was really gusting across the Indian River side of the road.

I was really surprised to see several other fishermen in the area trying for redfish on both sides of the river.

I didn't bother fishing my usual spots and because of the wind direction, I opted to fish the marsh areas. I brought only one rod with a blue Creme paddle tail lure and started casting to various deeper water areas that looked promising.

After several stops and several dozen casts, I hooked onto a nice slot sized redfish that looked to be about 25 inches long. When it got close to the bank, it wrapped the line around a stickup and somehow got free.

After several more casts into two more deep water areas, I briefly hooked onto another fish that I never got to see. The fish hit and immediately ran into the shallower marsh area and got off.

The way it fought led me to believe that it was another redfish, but there is no way to really know.

I passed a respectable sized gator trying to get warm on the bank and when I had another one get too close to where I was casting, I decided to move on.



The wind continued to build and after an hour or so I finally decided to call it a day.

I love fishing, but when the clouds come rolling in and the sky looks like it's about to snow, it's time to call it a day.



Here are a few pics I managed to get of the wildlife.



Till next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: