Shiloh Marsh Road Fishing Trip And Road Closure

Saturday, November 20, 2010

This afternoon's Shiloh Marsh Road fishing trip was somewhat disappointing but also fun.

My wife and I decided to take Elmo out to the "swamp" to get some air and run around a bit. It was relatively late in the afternoon and the weather was balmy with a hint of rain in the air.

Since we hadn't been fishing in the Shiloh Marsh area of the northern Indian River Lagoon; we decided to try that area first.

As we entered the unimproved road from US1 and just as you make the right turn after crossing the bridge, we noticed that the waterfowl hunting signs were posted for the upcoming duck hunting season.

As we traveled up the road to the first culvert crossing, Karen and I decided to stop and try out the spot. This area is seldom fished and since the culvert was open and a good flow of water was moving into the marsh, it looked promising.

I took out one of my rods rigged with a natural colored Creme paddle tail lure and started casting into the current on the marsh side.

After a few casts to some swirls, I hooked into and missed a nice sized sea trout.

The fish looked to be about 20" and would have gone on the dinner table if I could have got it on the bank.



Two casts later and I landed a smaller version in the same area.

After catching a couple more about the size of the two in the pictures, I noticed a swirl on the river side and started casting to it.

Two casts later I hooked and missed a slot sized redfish that almost immediately tossed the lure back to me.

Karen used her usual shrimp and Cajun Thunder bobber rig and hooked two catfish on the river side before moving to the marsh side of the creek.

Since the action was slowing down, I started casting a well used Chug Bug that usually produces larger redfish and sea trout when everything else fails.

After a few casts on the river side and I missed two small trout that tried to engulf the plug and finally hooked a ladyfish that jumped all over the small creek before it finally flipped itself off.

Meanwhile, Karen missed a sea trout and then hooked on to what she thought was a nice fish.

When she got the "fish" closer to the bank it turned out to be a feisty blue crab.



Because it was getting late, we decided to head into main river area but as we got closer the dreaded "closed for the season" sign was out and the road was closed for vehicular traffic.



We decided to backtrack and head into Peacock's Pocket to finish off the day, but when we got to the canoe launch area that road was also closed for the waterfowl season.

I parked the truck at the barrier and Karen and I walked back to the first bend to see if there was any possibility of catching a redfish for dinner.

It briefly started drizzling and after an hour of non productive fishing we decided to call it a day.

I guess I'll have to start taking out the Maverick more often this winter!

Till next time. Tight Lines to your all!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: