Hunt For Reds In October

Sunday, October 25, 2009

This weekend was anything but what you would expect an October weekend to be like.  The weather has been nothing short of blissful and the fishing has started to improve.

Some of my friends, who religiously fish the Mosquito Lagoon, say that the fishing this past week has started to improve.  Small schools of redfish are still cruising the flats, and with the windy conditions have made it easier to cast to them.

Sea trout are still easy to catch however the larger, gator trout, aren't hitting like they were earlier in the spring.
You can still pick one up early in the morning or just at dusk, but the sow gator trout get that way because they are extremely wary.  The clearer water make them doubly so come winter.

My wife, my wonder dog Elmo and I spent some time on the Indian River Saturday, and this evening, getting some nature pics and a little fresh air.


I fished top water Chug Bugs, SkitterWalks, a shallow running Yozuri Minnow, gold spoons, jigs, and just about everything else you can think of trying for a redfish or large trout.  Other than a few small trout, nothing earth shaking occurred.

My wife removed her Cajun Thunder rig and fished large dead shrimp both afternoons with some better results.  She picked up several catfish, a large stingray, puffers and missed a couple redfish.

After wearing out my casting arm, I reverted to fishing frozen shrimp in a small canal we often frequent.


 I picked up a top end slot redfish just at dusk that put up a great fight.  The particular rod I was using was threaded with 10 lb. Cajun Red Lightnin line and 20 flourocarbon leader, so I had to spend some time getting the red to land.

Until this evening, I was beginning to think I had some sort of fish curse on me.
Oh well, that's why they call it fishing instead of catchin.

Till next time; Tight Lines To You All!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: