November Indian River Lagoon Redfish

Sunday, November 15, 2009

The weather for November is simply unbelievable.  The air temperature this afternoon was a pleasant 73 degrees at 4:30 p.m. and the wind was for all practical purposes, nonexistent.

After spending the day working on my computer, and my wife working on her stained glass sun catchers, we decided to get a little fresh air and tool on down to the "swamp" at the north end of the Indian River Lagoon.


We loaded up the truck, almost got run over by our wonder dog Elmo getting into the car, and proceeded to our favorite stretch on the river.

Today proved fruitless on top water lures.  I tried silver mullet Chug Bugs with not even one strike. 

I reverted to one of my favorites, the Creme green colored paddle tail swim baits and promptly picked up a couple of legal sized trout.


At an area we call the duck blind, I noticed a boil in the water on the opposite bank and quickly sent my creme lure almost directly on top of the roiling boil.

I immediately hooked up to a nice fat 26" redfish that took me about 15 minutes to land on my 10# test Cajun line.

I tried shrimp on my other rod but never even got a catfish..

My wife Karen, wasn't  doing much so we moved to another spot around an area we call "bobcat bay", for obvious reasons. 

Last year in that spot, a bobcat walked up to my wife while she was fishing on the bank, and just sat down and watched her fish.  If I'd had my camera, I would have posted the neat shot, but it was left at the house that day. 

Anyway, that's how the spot is forever remembered by us!

After catching a few more nice sized trout in our second stop, my wife hook up to what we thought was a nice redfish.  It fought for about 15 minutes until we could get it to shore and discovered it to be a large black drum. 


The fish checked in at about 12 pounds and was over 28" long.  Check out the pics of the fish, and the beautiful wheather.
 


It was a beautiful calm Saturday afternoon fishing trip that we both enjoyed to the max.                                                      

It's great to live in the redfish capital of the world!

Till next time.

Tight Lines To You All!

1 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Anonymous said...

I think I know where you saw the bobcat. We fished around that area and saw one in the vicinity of Peacock's Pocket.

Nice Fish...Nice Drum...

Larry