Indian River Fishing Report

Monday, May 2, 2022

With quite a bit more mullet in the lagoon system, I decided to hit the water and wet a line to see what I could catch. 



The other day when I was fishing the shallows of East Gator Creek, I noticed several tarpon rolling on the surface in the deeper cut that runs along the opposite side of the road. 

 The fish were spooky and wouldn't hit my topwater baits but I did manage to hook and lose a large tarpon along the bank on a Creame paddletail bait. 

The tarpon was in the 5 foot category and rolled once before breaking the lure off my 8 pound mono. 

After losing the only Creme paddletail bait I had with me to the tarpon, I started tossing a Tsunami paddletail bait and an old, well worn Chug Bug around the flats on heavier line. 

After an hour of working out my casting wrist tossing lures without a decent hit, I realized that the fish were just not in the mood to be caught so I made a run around the refuge to see if anybody else was having any luck. 

 A couple of bank fishermen I spoke with said they had caught a couple keeper black drum earlier along with a small snook in deeper water using live shrimp for bait. 

A couple of other guys fishing along the Indian River and the bend of Catfish Creek Loop said that the redfish bite has been good on cut mullet and ladyfish. 

The reds were in close towards the shoreline in shallower water. 

Both groups of anglers said that the trout bite has been sporadic in both the Indian River and the Mosquito Lagoon with the best action in the early morning hours.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: