Snook on Zara

Friday, March 4, 2022

After a couple of months working in Highlands, N.C., it was definitely time to wet a line and try to catch some fish at home.


I made a couple of scouting trips the last time I was home but I didn't have time to fish the area..  This afternoon, I decided to hit several areas in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge to see if anything was interested in hitting my lures.

Armed with two spinning rods tipped with a topwater baits, I started at East Gator creek and wound up north of Haulover Canal fishing a secluded spot on the Indian River.

The water in East Gator Creek was clear as glass and there was a slight wind blowing enough to mess up topwater fishing.  

There were tons of gators and waterfowl in the area; mud hens, ibis, coots, egrets, and even a couple of lost pelicans.





I tossed a Chug Bug around for awhile and managed a followup and eventually a hookup with a medium sized ladyfish.  The fish jumped like small tarpon until I dragged him to the bank and shook it off.

Several other areas that I fished in this spot proved to be a waste of time.

I did notice that Peacocks Pocket Road was somewhat open.  The wire rope barrier was gone but someone put a tape across to let everyone know it is still impassable.

I drove around Catfish Creek Loop and headed to Haulover Canal to see what was happening around that area.

Instead of wasting time driving into the canal, I drove over the bridge, psst the entrances and took a seldom used road that meanders along the Indian River.

I tossed the Chug Bug around in several areas and missed a couple of fish so when I spotted a larger fish busting on something tight along the bank, I decided to switch baits and toss a Zara Spook to the spot.

The second cast was a charm and I hooked up with a nice snook that I almost lost along the mangrove roots.

I took a quick pic of the fish before releasing it and continued fishing the area with the Zara Spook.


After enduring some wrist pain from casting the plug into several areas without as much as a follow up, I decided to back out of the area and head for home.

I stopped at Lil Ceaser's for a pizza and passed it up when I saw a crowd through the window.

No hot and ready's today.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: