Shrimping On The Pier

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Went down to the A. Max Brewer bridge around 7:30 pm to see if anyone was shrimping on the pier.


When I got there the upper pier was relatively crowded but the lower pier had only a half dozen or so people with dip nets and lights out.




I talked to a few guys who reported that the shrimp were running but later on in the evening.

One of the shrimpers said that a couple of guys who spent the previous evening on the pier dipped 169 extra large to jumbo size shrimp but they stayed out until about 3:30 in the morning.  

I didn't plan to stick around to see if the action was going to improve so as I was about to head out, I ran into an auto mechanic named Frank, who showed me this pic of his son Bret who landed a 50 pound black drum Saturday night while fishing with a live shrimp.


When I asked him to text me the pic, he said his son was fishing at the end of the lower fishing pier and could do it.  

I walked to the end of the pier where Bret was fishing with several rods out and spent some time socializing with him about the bite in the area.

He showed me several additional pics on his cell phone of some of his other catches around the area which ranged from black drum, big sea trout, redfish, and a snook he picked up around the docks one evening.

I spent about a half hour or so talking with him before calling it an evening.  

The wind was blowing and I was starting to get chilly, so I headed for the hacienda.

If I get a chance, I might wet a line tomorrow night if I can pick up some live blue crab for bait.   Love to hook into a fish with shoulders for a change.

Till next time,
Tight Lines

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: