Peacocks Pocket Road Update

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Went to walk Peacocks Pocket Road this afternoon for some "jump fishing" but when I tried to drive into the easternmost entrance towards the small boat launch, I was greeted with signs and a dump truck driver who said it was closed to vehicle traffic.


He suggested I call the refuge managers to see when it would be reopened so when I got back to the house, I called the Merritt Island National Wildlife refuge to get the story.

The contact I originally spoke with didn't even know that Peacocks Pocket Road had been closed, so she asked me to hold while she could get some updated info.

After a brief hold, I was informed that the road was being worked on.  When I asked if it would be opened all the way to Catfish Creek Loop Road, I was told that they expected reconstruction to be completed in about 10 to 11 months.

I asked if this was realistic and was told that to the best of their knowledge, the information was correct.

I have a good number of readers asking me about the road so I decided to write this post.

There is a lot of good fishing and birdwatching along Peacocks Pocket Road, so I hope the timeline is adhered to.

Till next time,
Tight lines. 

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: