Barren Beach

Thursday, October 22, 2020

I was privy to a barren beach when I got to Playalinda the other day.  The weather was lousy and the waves required a 5 oz. pyramid sinker to hold bottom.


When I got to Playalinda Beach, the tide was almost full.  I had a few river rods with me in the truck that I was going to use for juvenile tarpon in the Vistas, but all the Vistas were cordoned off to vehicles due to the upcoming Space X launch, so I decided to try the surf instead.


I noticed very few vehicles in the lots and decided to fish Lot #8 where I had some decent luck with whiting a couple of weeks ago.

When I got to the end of the walkway, I was the only person on the beach as far as the eye could see.


Undaunted with the heavy surf conditions, I decided to at least give it a try so I tied on a double hook pompano rig baited up with fishbites, and decided on a 4 oz pyramid sinker to hold bottom.

The first cast into the closest trough quickly made me change the sinker to a 5 oz. that I happened to have in my box.

I spent the next hour or so fighting the waves and managed to hook a couple of undersize pompano and one whiting that I released.

I took some pics of the area before I decided to head to Haulover Canal to see if anyone was catching fish over there.


The mullet run was underwhelming this year, and I guess from my experience this afternoon, was just about over.  I didn't spot any fish in the surf and the fish I did catch were by dumb luck.  

You could hardly tell when a fish was on, and I was genuinely surprised when I pulled in my first small pomp.

I left Lot #8 to the pelicans and vultures that were in the parking lot and headed to Haulover before calling it a day.


I had no bait with me and after making several casts with a gold Johnson's Sprite spoon, I packed it in and headed home.

Hope to see the next Space X launch this week.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: