Glass Bottom Kayaks

Tuesday, January 28, 2020


When I took Elmo and Odie for a ride this afternoon over to Haulover Canal, I met a guy who rents glass bottom kayaks for night trips. 

I met Josh when I drove to the end of the road where the kayak rentals usually take over the area, but today the weather was cool and he was the only outfit there.

I never saw a "glass bottom" (lexan) kayak before so I stopped to take a few pics and ask some questions.




He told me the kayaks are imported and go for over $1,000.00 each.  He said that they were great for viewing the bio luminescence in the lagoon waters at night.

I've seen the luminescence a couple of times when I went shrimping in Haulover and it is really magical.

I took a few pics of the kayaks and of a lone boater fishing the deep hole at the west entrance to Haulover.  The fishermen were using cut crab for bait and had not caught any fish, that he told me about.


Anyway, I stopped to let Elmo and Odie out for a while while I flipped a plastic DOA shrimp around the bank.   The current was pretty strong and after about 20 casts or so, I decided to load up the "boys" and head back.

I talked to several fishermen who had their spots along the canal and only one reported catching and releasing an oversize redfish.

He said he would text me a pic, but I never got it.

Most of the guys along the bank were using shrimp and cut mullet for bait and everyone I spoke with complained about getting caught on the coquina and losing their rigs.


I've learned how to avoid that problem.  You put on a heavy sinker to hold bottom in the current and when you get a hookup or want to check your bait, reel like hell to keep the weight above the rocks.

I might head out there Thursday or Friday and kill a couple of crabs.

Who knows??

Till next time,
Tight Lines

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: