Catching Bonnethead Sharks In The Indian River

Sunday, January 26, 2020

I didn't know that there were Bonnethead Sharks in the Indian River until this afternoon when I saw a couple releasing one at the bank of Gator Creek.


Karen and I decided to take Elmo and Odie for a quick spin around the refuge after our daily walk around the block.

Because it was late in the afternoon and I didn't plan on fishing, I didn't bring along any bait.  

We loaded the dogs into the truck and headed out to Gator Creek to check out the fishing.  

I was surprised at how many fishermen staked out their spots along Gator Creek and Catfish Creek Loop.   Every good spot was taken and most anglers had at least a couple rods out with shrimp or cut baits.


As I rounded the bend near the second entrance to Gator Creek, Karen spotted someone trying to get the hook out of a fish.  She thought it was a stingray but when I drove closer, I saw that it was a small shark.


I pulled over to see what species it was and saw that it was a Bonnethead of about 4 feet long.

While the guy and his wife were trying to get the hook out of the fish, I got my cell phone out of the truck and took a few quick pics along with this short video (Click on Pic).


The angler that caught the fish thought that it was a big redfish until he saw the fin clear the water. 

I have caught juvenile bull sharks and a couple of black tips in this area of the Indian River, but this was the first Bonnethead Shark that I've ever seen landed.

After the release, we cruised the rest of the area but nobody seemed to be catching anything except hardhead catfish and stingrays.

On the way out of East Gator Creek Road, I stopped to let the "boys" do their duty and took a couple of pics of the sun going down.


I'm home for the week and will probably wet a line after my Dentist appointment tomorrow.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: