Disappointing Afternoon At Playalinda Beach

Friday, January 31, 2020

It turned out to be a disappointing afternoon at Playalinda Beach but I'm still glad I made the trip.


When I made the snap decision to "hit the beach" and try for a pompano or two, it was about 11:30 am.

I got on my computer to check the tide tables and learned that the high tide was coming in and would be full at around noon.  It wasn't the best time to fish the surf but I decided to try it out anyway,

Picked up some live sand fleas at Mosquito Lagoon Outfitters on the way, and hit the beach only to find a misty fog enveloping the area.

A cold front was bopping around the area and there were a few cars in the lower numbered parking lots.  I planned to fish at lot #8 but they were working on renovating the walkways at #8 and #9, so I hit the next open area which was #10.



A group was unloading their beach "buggy" as I was driving in and a couple was leaving, so I decided to give it a try.

I opted on using only one surf rod, my Okuma Coranado baitrunner loaded with 30 pound braid and an Ande Tournament surf rod.


The surf was rough and I spent a few minutes trying to read the beach for a spot to fish.  I decided on an area where there was a rip and headed to stake out my spot.

About the time I got there, another surf fishermen staked out the area so I moved down from him a few yards and set up my rig.

I tied on a two hook pompano rig with a Sputnik sinker to hold bottom and tossed out two juicy sand fleas just past the first breaker into the deep trough.

I put the rod in the sand spike and waited for something to bite.

For the end of January, there were a lot of surf fishermen on the beach.  Everyone was spread out watching their rods, but nothing seemed to be hitting.

I took some pics of the beach and waited for 20 minutes or so before pulling in to check my line.  Both sand fleas were still on the hooks so I pulled up and moved about 20 yards up the beach to another area.

Again, I tossed out my baits and waited but nothing was hitting.

I tried longer casts way past the outer bar and shorter casts in between the two bars but nothing was biting.

A "snowbird" from Mass, stopped to talk with me if I had any luck and said that the only fish he saw caught was a sheepshead and a couple of whiting at Lot #11.   He told me everyone was after pompano but none were caught.

After he left, I moved on more time and after another 30 minutes without a bite, I packed up and headed to the house.

On the way, I decided to ride around East Gator Creek to see if any topwater action was happening.  

I was behind another car with Florida tags when it stopped and a lady passenger got out and started frantically waving about a gator on the opposite bank.




There were two 10 to 12 foot gators sunning on the bank which is normal on a warm afternoon but apparently she had never seen one that big.

I took a couple of pics and after she got through photographing it, took off again.

I stopped to take a short video below of another large gator swimming along the road before heading home.


Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow to try some fishing again.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.  

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: