Peacocks Pocket Sight Fishing

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Peacocks Pocket sight fishing isn't something we often write about but with the almost crystal clear water we experience during the winter months in our area, I thought a word or two was in order.

My wife and I originally planned to hit the beach and check out the surf fishing for pompano that is expected to ramp up next month but she forgot about her  doctor's appointment, so I decided to check it out for myself.

I loaded up a couple of surf rods "just in case", pulled out some blanched, frozen, sand fleas from the freezer to use as bait and headed for Playalinda Beach.

Being Thanksgiving week, you would assume that the beach would be crowded but except for vehicles touring the area, not many sun worshipers planted themselves on the sand.


The air temperature today was in the 70 s and there was very little wind over the surf.  The tide was already out and there was very little water movement in the surf


Perfect casting conditions bur not so great for the bite.

I stopped at lots numbers 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, and drove around Eddy Creek to see if anybody was fishing the lagoon flats and was surprised to see only three surf fishermen on the water.






After talking to them, it was apparent that the Pompano run had not yet occurred in this area of the coast.  


One guy was catching a few whiting and catfish while the other two anglers I spoke with were  just dunking dead shrimp.

I took some pics of each area and decided to head towards home and stop at the northern end of Peacocks Pocket to see if anybody was fishing the flats in that area.


The barrier was up and the water in Peacocks Pocket was clean and clear, which was probably why several trucks and trailers were parked at the shallow water ramp.

I spotted three guys poling around the Eastern shoreline of the Pocket and another angler in a flats boat fishing close to Stony Island in the Banana Creek area.




There are always at least a couple of fishing rods in my truck so I pulled them out and started blind casting a Chug Bug around the calm water in the Pocket.

After a couple of hesitant follow ups, I switched to a gold Johnsons Sprite spoon and repeated the pattern with no hits.

I spied only one wake from a redfish or a black drum that was outside of casting range and several small pods of fingerling mullet, but I never hooked up with anything except a stickup.

It was getting chilly and since the bite from shore was less than enthusiastic, I decided to head back to the house and make something for dinner.

I plan on taking my kayak to the pocket if it stay relatively warm and check out that Eastern shoreline.  Both sight casters that were fishing the area had fish on but I couldn't make out what they were.

On the way out, I took a couple of pics of the sun going down.


Awesome!
Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: