Bluegill On Chug Bug

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Catching a bluegill on a Chug Bug was the last thing I had in mind this afternoon but when I decided to take Odie for a ride around East Gator Creek and toss a topwater bait around, that's exactly what happened.

A brisk wind was blowing when I crossed the A. Max Brewer bridge but since this was just a "scouting" trip I didn't pay much attention to it.

Odie and I drove into East Gator Creek around 5:15 pm looking for any sign of topwater activity on the shallow flats.

The first set of culverts were closed and no fish were moving around so I drove slowly around the area towards a spot I usually catch fish.



I pulled over and let Odie out of the truck to do his duty while I pulled out a spinning rod tipped with a frog pattern Chug Bug.

The wind made casting a bit difficult but I managed with low casts and was able to work the bait enough to make it look lifelike.

About the fourth cast, I had a hit from a small spotted sea trout that rolled on the plug close enough to the bank that I could see what it was.

I continued casting and got a hit on the Chug Bug when it was just floating on the water.  I was looking after Odie when the fish hit.

At first I thought it was another under slot sea trout, but when I started pulling it to the bank, I saw that it was a large bluegill.


I pulled the gill out, took a few pics, and put it back into the water wondering about where it came from.

This was the same spot where I caught a nice bass a couple of months ago, so I presumed that there was either an underground spring feeding this area or the water here was almost fresh.

Anyway, after several more unfruitful casts, I packed in the rod and Odie to continue our "scouting trip".

We drove around Catfish Creek Loop and was surprised that every good spot to fish was taken by guys drowning live or chunked mullet.   A sign that the redfish bite was on.

I took a few pics of the area and headed back across the bridge and decided to check out the fishing piers at the restaurant.

The place was jumping.  A band was playing and there were a lot of people on the fishing piers. 



I couldn't walk them because I didn't have Odie's leash so I drove around the area and headed back to the house.

Hope to wet a line again tomorrow before I have to head back to work.

Till next time,
Tight Lines

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: