Fishing The Afternoon Thundershowers In July

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Fishing the afternoon thundershowers in July is often productive just before the spigot turns on, and this afternoon was no exception.

Because of a Doctors appointment and a horrible looking lawn, I didn't expect to get out at all today but after manicuring the lawn, I decided to grab a rod and take my chances with the lightning in the wildlife refuge.

The air temperature was still 94 degrees when I drove into Peacocks Pocket road, and other than myself, there was hardly anybody in the refuge.


As I slowly drove along the marsh canal looking for signs of fish, I saw several spotted sea trout attacking baitfish along the surface.  I had a Johnson's Sprite gold spoon on the single rod that I hastily brought along with me and after making several casts to the sea trout it quickly became apparent that they weren't interested.

There was one very small trout that followed the spoon to the bank, but it didn't hit the lure.

As I drove along the road, I passed up several spots that had fish but had too much submerged grass to sensibly fish with a spoon.  As I continued towards one of the larger ponds, I spotted a swirl along the bank that looked like a nice redfish.

I pulled off the road just ahead of where I spotted the fish, just as it was beginning to rain, and shot a well placed cast towards the opposite bank a few feet ahead of where the fish swirled.

 As I slowly retrieved the gold spoon, I expected a hit, but after nothing happened a couple more unsuccessful casts, I was ready to give it up.

I walked a few yards up the road and made one last cast towards a dropoff at the edge of a weedy pond.  Almost as soon as the lure hit the water, an oversize redfish nailed the spoon and after a second or two, headed down the marsh canal.

The fish made three nice runs and almost got off on the brush along the canal, but I finally managed to get a boca grip on her and pull it up the bank.

 
The fish measured in at hare over 31" and after taking a couple of pics of the fish, I quickly released her back into the marsh canal.   Although the water was warm, it didn't take too long for the red to revive and swim off.

On the way home the rain stopped, but as I drove into my driveway the afternoon thundershowers started up again.  Luckily the rain didn't last long.

I almost forgot how productive fishing the afternoon thundershowers can be.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: