Sunset Fishing From Peacocks Pocket Road

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

I hit Peacocks Pocket late yesterday afternoon with hopes of landing a redfish or two, but except for a lone sea trout, got skunked instead.

I didn't get to Peacocks Pocket Road until around 6:30 pm and the water was like glass on both sides of the road.  The air temperature was in the low 80s, and I could hear lightning in the distance.  There were occasional sprinkles on my windshield but not the rain I expected.

I started out by "jump fishing" the marsh canal, casting a Chug Bug at swirling fish and likely looking areas but after several stops, I only got one followup.  I spotted a couple of juvenile tarpon in one area but they weren't taking topwater baits.

I tried using a Yo-Zuri 3DB topwater plug that I caught a redfish on the previous day, but except for the lone sea trout below, that also proved to be a bust.



Finally, I started pitching a 4" swimbait and a gold Johnson Sprite spoon and started getting hits, but again, no hookups until dusk.

As the sun started to go down, the redfish in the canal started moving into the marsh ponds, so I changed tactics and started pitching an "Electric Chicken" colored H&H Swagger tail Shad that I smeared up with some Pro-Cure.

The change in tactics worked.  When I noticed some fish moving into a pond in an area my wife and I named the "duck blinds", I had a nice hit from what looked like a slot redfish.  The fish hit some brush and immediately broke off,  but it was enough to improve my disposition.

I got two more hard hits on the river side from sea trout, but somehow both fish never got hooked.

I spotted several nice size redfish, but the fish were spooky and were not interested in my artificial baits.

Finally the mosquitoes got to me and I decided to give it up for the evening and head for home.


I took a couple of pics of the sunset before leaving and vowed to come back again tomorrow.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: