Black Point Sea Trout

Saturday, September 19, 2015

The Black Point area is an overlooked fishery for sea trout, redfish and some nice ladyfish during certain times of the year.

Michael, a subscriber of this site emailed me this pic of a nice gator sea trout that his friend Matt caught earlier this spring.


He didn't say what he caught the fish on, only that it was quickly released to fight another day.

However, after taking a closer look at the picture, it looks like a long soft bait hanging out of the fish's mouth.

Although I have been fishing a bit in Mobile, Al. the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and Central Florida in particular still produces more huge redfish, black drum, and "gator" spotted sea trout than  anywhere I've been privileged to fish, especially when it comes to sight fishing.

The video below was taken under one of the bridges going to Dauphin Island, an area just west of Mobile.


The black drum was estimated at 40 to 50 pounds and was caught on an incoming tide on half a blue crab.

When I fished the area where the guy caught the drum, I managed to hook a couple of fish on a Berkly Rattlin Jig but both broke off around the rocks.

The people on the opposite bank were wading and pitching freshly netted finger mullet but from what I could see while I was fishing the area, they weren't doing all that well.

Like the beaches at Playalinda, the tides in the Mobile Bay area dictate the best times to fish.

Apparently, I wasn't there at the right time!

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: