Cabazon

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Up until last Sunday, I had never heard of a Cabazon (below), but when I received an email from Craig and Mary I decided to post a picture of it along with some of the other fish they caught in Washington State while on vacation.


I posted some pics of his vacation on "Topwater Redfish In The Marsh", the rest are below along with his email comment on the 37" Redfish On A Chug Bug post I made last month.

John,
            Good to read you made it back home. Nice looking Red!

            We went over Saturday evening. I only got one bite.
            The fish in the marsh were not doing much. The bite I got was on the river side.
            Big trout smashed my swim bait waking it on top but missed it.

`          How ever, Mary and I went on vacation for a couple weeks to Washington State.
            We fished a couple days. One day in the San Juan Islands and one day off the coast at Westport.

            I attached a photo of a fish called a Cabzon. Not many fish are legal these days up that way. This one is and so we made some fish and chips.
            We caught a small pink salmon about 5 pounds. Grilled him up that night.
            I caught a real nice lingcod. The season for those in that area closed so back over the side he went.

            Our second day of fishing was at Westport for salmon. The captain told us that the ocean is too warm closer to shore so we ran a couple hours west.
            The captain said the salmon were in the bottom 50 feet in 270 feet of water. 10 ounces of lead was required to get the bait down that far.
            I caught 3 nice little king salmon pretty quick early in the morning. Then it slowed down.
            Fishing that deep you never know what your going to get on fresh herring.
            I caught 50 and 30 pound halibut back to back. From 270 feet, my arm was toast. Lots of heavy lifting for halibut out of season.
            The mate cut the leader pretty quick and I didn’t get any big halibut pix.

            Mary, my son and I got a good picture of our Salmon at the dock when we got back.
            I have to say, not many days do I get enough fish that my arms worn out. That was one of them.

            We froze some fillets in zip locks and brought them home for the freezer.
            Mary caught a nice keeper Lingcod at Westport that was in season. They are so tasty!
            I was hoping for a big one out there in the deep. The guy next to me landed a 20 pounder. Cool looking sea monster.

            Well that’s the latest. We hope to get in another trip next weekend rain permitting. Perhaps we will see you out there.
            Keep your tip up!

The Cabzon has a blue mouth with blue flesh and according Craig is excellent eating.


I know that Ling Cod are top notch table fare, as are fresh caught Salmon of any species.


Nice fishing trip!  If we ever get the chance and the time; Karen and I would love to try that type of fishing, at least for a few days.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: