Skunked!

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River fishing is starting to pick up again if you get out early enough to take advantage of the bite.

As the weather starts to warm up and the bait fish start to invade the lagoons, the top water action for sea trout especially starts to get really good.

Unfortunately, this weekend I didn't get the opportunity to take advantage of the topwater action.  I had to spend some time working around the house fixing things and redoing our Koi pond.

Friday evening, after the long drive home from work, my wife and I took our two "best friends" for a quick scouting trip around Peacocks Pocket road. 

Elmo and Odie were in the truck even before we had a chance to load up the rods and bait.

There were a few fishermen dunking cut baits and live finger mullet hoping for a redfish catch, but none of the people we spoke with were catching anything.

Karen wanted to try one of her "secret" spots, so we spent time dunking baits along with everyone else for an hour or so.

On the way to her spot we saw several cars pulled over to the side of the road.  At first we thought the people were watching an alligator but instead they were all watching a huge wild boar in the swamp.

I managed to get this shot as it moved away from the crowd.


She was using her Cajun Thunder Oval Float with a jumbo frozen shrimp and I was tossing around some lures.

The wind was up just enough to make topwater fishing a problem so I spent most of my time tossing a gold gold Johnson The Original Sprite Spoon and a Bagley paddle tail bait.

I got a couple of hits on the spoon but never got a hookup, and the paddle tail bait turned out to be a complete waste of time.

Karen missed the first fish that was probably a red, and finally hooked up with a large stingray in the marsh canal.

 

The red hit the Cajun Thunder rig and started down the marsh canal like a freight train but as soon as the fish felt resistance, it dropped the bait.  Karen wasn't paying attention but at least she didn't get skunked.

I on the other hand, got skunked!

On Saturday I had good intentions to wet a line but I would up repairing some wood work around the house.  By the time I was finished, fishing was the last thing on my mind.

Sunday was a clone of Saturday.  No fishing.

Made a mental note to take the Maverick flats boat next weekend to fish Tiger Shoals on the Mosquito Lagoon.  

A friend of mine who fishes the area a lot said the reds that were in the area were hitting well.

Live shrimp and cut baits seem to be the best baits right now.

Till next time, Tight lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: