Fishing Peacocks Pocket for some Sea Trout Action

Friday, May 10, 2013

Fishing Peacocks Pocket for some Sea Trout action was on the agenda for me this weekend but as luck would have it, I didn't get much quality fishing time in.

After arriving home from work on Friday, my wife asked me if I wanted to take Elmo and Odie fishing.

Even though it was late and I was beat from driving 4 1/2 hours, I readily agreed to go on a "scouting" trip to the "Pocket" to see what was going on.

We loaded up the truck with five spinning outfits, the two dogs and some frozen shrimp for Karen to use for bait and headed for the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Even though it was late, the air temperature was still in the 80s and the slight breeze that was blowing across the Indian River was enough to make fishing quite enjoyable.

The birds seemed to enjoy the weather as much as Karen and I did.

We stopped at a few spots on the southern end of Peacocks Pocket road to fish with very little to show for our efforts.

Karen tossed a Cajun Thunder rig with a jumbo frozen shrimp to the opposite bank at the first stop and missed a nice redfish. 

She wasn't paying attention to her rod and by the time she saw the float zipping down the marsh canal the red dropped the bait.

That turned out to be the only fish of the afternoon.

I was using a gold Johnson Sprite and a Chug Bug.  I got a couple of short strikes on the Chug Bug and missed a nice slot sea trout on the spoon.

We drove around the road and saw a lot of vehicles but few fishermen. 

A couple of guys were wading the Indian River and a couple of others were drowning finger mullet on both sides of the road, apparently with no success.

We decided to head for home and try for some sea trout action Saturday .

Till then, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: