Sea Trout Action In The Marsh

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Today I planned on getting in some early sea trout action today but it just wasn't in the cards.

Karen and I planned on getting out to the lagoon early but the lawn mower didn't budge when I tried to start it.

I just finished edging the walks and the damn mower died.

Since I planned on getting another mower this year anyway,  today turned out to be the day to do it.

Karen and I drove down to Lowes to pick up another mower so I could take care of the yard and  by the time we looked around to compare brands and prices the morning's fishing trip was moved to late afternoon.

I just finished up mowing the lawn when a thunderstorm moved into the area.  It started coming down as I was blowing off the driveways and I finally gave it up when the lightning started getting close.

By this time it was around 5:00 pm and Karen didn't care to go fishing in the rain.

I wanted to get some sea trout action in so I loaded up four outfits and headed for an area where I spotted an oversize redfish yesterday.


As I drive into Peacocks Pocket road, I stopped at a culvert and started tossing a Bagley swim bait.

I landed and released a ladyfish before moving on down the road.

I alternated tossing the swim bait, a gold hammered spoon and a Chug Bug to several fish I saw cruising the marsh canal and only picket up a slot sea trout.

I moved down to the pond where I spotted the redfish yesterday and wasted about 45 minutes trying to get it to bite.

The fish was in the same general area and bumped the hammered spoon once after I smeared it up with some Pro-Cure Super Gel scent.

It was getting toward dusk and I could hear lightning so I decided to move up to an area that I knew had some sea trout.

My first cast into the submerged grass with the spoon rewarded me with a fat slot sea trout.


I landed and released the fish and after several more casts in the same area picked up two more fish.

The water near dusk got as calm as glass so I switched over to the Chug Bug to see if I could stir up some more sea trout action.


I landed two more "chunky" sea trout and missed three short strikers before the mosquitoes started getting my attention.


 
Karen called to see if a gator got me and I decided to head for home and call it a day.

As I was leaving the refuge, I spotted five more groups of fishermen in various areas dunking finger mullet for reds.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get some more sea trout action in the marsh.

Till then, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: