Rainy November Afternoon On The Indian River

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Today turned out to be another rainy November afternoon on the Indian River but despite the weather, I still decided to wet a line in the salt marsh.

As I was crossing the Max Brewer Memorial Parkway Bridge I could see rainstorms on the horizon and in the area of Peacocks Pocket kayak launch.

It was beginning to drizzle and the wind was picking up.

The air temperature was in the low 70s and dropping.  All good indicators for a decent fishing trip.

I was greeted by several vultures as I entered Peacocks Pocket road.  For some reason they love to roost in this tree.

 

As I got to the kayak launch I noticed some top water action in the pocket.  I couldn't tell if the fish were sea trout or reds but they were well out of casting range so I continued to the first set of culverts.

I started casting a gold hammered redfish spoon on the Indian River side of the road and had a couple of taps but no solid hookups.

The wind stopped and the water in the marsh areas became dead calm so I switched rods and started pitching a Chug Bug to the opposite bank.

I stopped at several areas to fish the top water plug and was eventually rewarded with a nice 22" sea trout.



The fish nailed the Chug Bug half way across the marsh canal and put up a respectable fight before I hauled it up the bank.

I took a couple of pics and released the fish to grow into a Gator trout.

I missed three more sea trout in the slot and landed another fish about 20 yards down the road that was a clone to the first fish.

The wind started up again and the calm water disappeared for the afternoon.

I switched back to the gold spoon and got a hit from a red right at the bank but couldn't hook up the fish.

About this time it started to rain in earnest and the temperature began to drop.

I changed back to the Chug Bug and hooked up with another smaller sea trout just as the rain started coming down in buckets.  I landed and released the fish and headed for the truck to get out of the rain.

 

It was starting to get dark so I decided to try one last spot where a reader caught a nice redfish several weeks ago.

By the time I pulled up to the spot, it was dark and the rain was still coming down steadily.

I pitched the Chug Bug several times into the area and missed a sea trout twice that was a short striker before calling it a day.

Fishing generally improves just before and sometimes after a rainstorm but this evening another rainy November afternoon on the Indian River wasn't that appealing to me.

I was damp, cold and hungry so I headed for home and a nice meal.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: