Catching Sea Trout On Spoons

Friday, November 9, 2012

Catching sea trout on spoons this evening wasn't exactly what I had in mind but in the absence of redfish, I didn't complain.

When I got home this evening, I grabbed three spinning rods and headed directly to the Indian River to get in some fishing before dusk.

I was greeted by a group of wood storks as I entered the wildlife refuge that reminded me of supreme court judges, absent their robes.

 







I stopped to take these pics before heading to my favorite spots.

The first stop produced a couple of ladyfish on a gold Johnson Sprite.

The first fish was released and the second one which was a bit larger flipped off the treble hook at the bank.

There was some wind in the marsh this evening and the temperature was in the low 70s when I drove into the refuge.

The ripples on the water made me stick with gold spoons but I did catch a small sea trout on a silver and black Chug Bug.

I spent some time blind casting the gold spoon to likely looking spots that I thought would hold redfish, but this evening the only fish I managed to catch besides the ladyfish were a trio of small sea trout.
  
Catching sea trout on spoons is fun, but not as much fun as catching redfish on spoons.

The only other people I saw in the refuge this evening was a guy on a small motorcycle and a couple of guys driving out of the refuge as I was entering.

I spotted this guy fishing in his kayak but he didn't seem to be catching anything except a good breeze.  I took his pic anyway because he seemed so relaxed.


As the sun started to set, I spotted several large redfish tailing in the river.  Unfortunately, they were just out of casting range but I still lobbed a couple of casts close to where they were feeding.

I didn't get any follow ups so I decided to take a few pics of the beautiful sunset and call it a day.

Hope you enjoy them.

 




Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: