Skunked On Reds

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Skunked on reds was the verdict for this afternoon's fishing excursion into the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Because of the rainstorms earlier in the day, I has hoping for a stellar day fishing the marsh areas around Gator Creek Loop road.

The air temperature when I hit the refuge was 82 degrees and there was a moderate wind on the water.

Since I caught a nice redfish in the area around Gator Creek Loop road yesterday, I decided to begin fishing around the same area today.

On the way to the entrance of Gator Creek Loop road, I stopped by an open culvert and started blind casting the extremely shallow water with a Chug Bug hoping for a red or a sea trout.

On the second cast I landed a ladyfish that skyrocketed the bait into the air before getting itself hopelessly hooked on the dual trebles.

I normally would have stayed in the area to play with the fish but today I was targeting reds, so I moved on up the road.

I fished the shallow marsh canals and ponds hard and had only three followups from redfish.

 

I was surprised that no sea trout were hitting my top water baits, especially after a rainstorm but today the fish were extremely spooky.


There were only two other fishermen in the area all the time I was out there and they weren't doing anything with redfish.  The one guy I talked to said they had seen a few reds but the bit was really off for some reason.

I continued fishing until the sun started to set and the mosquitoes became intolerable.

Just before I decided to hit the truck, I picked up another ladyfish on the plug.

After I released it I resigned myself to the fact that I got SKUNKED on reds today.

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day if the hurricane bands aren't too bad.

Till then,

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: