Peacocks Pocket Road Could Have Been Named Gator Creek Road

Friday, August 17, 2012

Peacocks Pocket Road could have been named Gator Creek Road and this evening my wife and I wondered why it wasn't.

When I got home from work I packed up some rods, loaded Elmo, Karen and some water into the truck, and headed for the closest place to wet a line.

Since it had been raining on and off during the day, Karen suggested that we head up to Peacocks Pocket and fish the area around the shallow water kayak launch.

As we drove towards the launching area, I spotted something running on the edge of the unimproved dirt road.

I drove past whatever it was and asked Karen if she could see what it was.  As I backed up to get a look, it turned out to be a small alligator strolling down the road.

I got out the Nikon and as I was taking these pics of the little gator, I spotted another one down the road a bit. 

 
 
The little gator was only about a foot and a half long and Karen was afraid someone would run over the little guy so I picked it up by the tail and put it into the canal along side the road.

He hissed a tried to get at me but I moved quickly to get him out of the road and into the water where it would be somewhat safer.

I walked down to the other gator and saw two more which I also moved into the canal.

As we got back into the truck we wondered about where their mama was hiding.  I didn't want to mess with a full grown gator in or out of the water.

We stopped briefly at the double culverts and fished a bit with no success. 

Karen fished the Indian River side where there was a lot of activity but nothing was hitting her shrimp. 

I fished both sides of the road with a Chug Bug and got the same result so we moved up to where a small pond buts into the mash canal.  I noticed some activity there and decided to give it a shot.

My second cast hooked me up with this ladyfish. 

I caught another and missed several more that were in the same size range before I hooked up to an over slot sea trout.

The fish wasn't hooked well and got off after it's first run.

Karen was trying to catch one of the nice redfish that were tailing out in the pond but the fish remained just out of casting range.

It was getting late but the fish were moving around and seemed to be getting more active.

I walked up the road to fish a cut that opened up into another small pond and flipped my Pro Cure covered Baby Bass Chug Bug next to the opposite bank.

The Chug Bug got blasted before it moved three feet.  A sea trout of about 27" hit the top water bait and made a fast run down the shallow canal. 

I was trying to keep up with the fish on the bank and I thought I was winning the fight until the fish headed for some brush and got tangled up in it.

I didn't want to lose the fish and was thinking about taking a chance wading into the canal to get it unstuck, but the big sea trout sloshed around until it finally broke off taking my favorite baby bass Chug Bug with it.

I was pissed about losing the fish and to add insult to injury, I stepped into an ant hill and got bit on both feet.

Karen wasn't getting any hits even though we could see the redfish busting bait fish farther out in the pond so we decided to call it a day and head for home.

This evening there was only one other person in the refuge and they weren't fishing. 

Hopefully, tomorrow we can get out and have better luck.

 

Till then, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: