Catfish Creek Loop Redfish

Friday, August 24, 2012

Catfish Creek Loop redfish are often found in the shallow marsh areas opposite the Indian River.

This afternoon's fishing trip started late. I didn't get home from work until around 6:00 pm and my wife wanted to wait for her eyeglasses to be delivered before going fishing, so she suggested that I go alone and we would get an earlier start tomorrow.

I didn't wait around long for Karen to change her mind.

I picked four spinning rods to take along.  Two were rigged with top water Chug Bugs and two with different patterned paddle tail swim baits.

Since there wasn't much time before dusk, I drove into the first entrance to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and headed for Peacocks Pocket Road.

This evening the air temperature was 82 degrees and there was a mild wind coming out of the east which was just enough to cause a ripple on the water.

As I got to the first set of double culverts, I saw some fish swirling in the shallows but after a few casts I could only pick up a medium sized ladyfish.

I quickly unhooked and released the fish and decided to move on to try for some sea trout or a red.

Normally I would have spent some time playing with the ladyfish but time was of the essence.

On a lark, I decided to swing around Catfish Creek Loop road to see if anything looked promising.

Blind casting on the river side didn't produce anything and as a large gator came up to where I was fishing, I decided to drive over the short stretch of crushed granite roadbed to fish the marsh areas on the other stretch of the road.

 

 

I stayed with the Chug Bugs and hooked another ladyfish in the marsh shallows.

Several casts later, I missed what looked like a nice sea trout.  The fish hit the plug three times but never hooked itself.

Blind casting to the opposite bank and into the entrances of the small ponds produced a couple of follow ups but no fish.

The scenery was beautiful so I took a few pics of the area and later the sunset.

 

 

 

I moved past another couple and their kid who were enjoying the scenery while still fishing and started fishing an area where my wife had caught a sea trout on a prior fishing trip.

Blind casting the area wasn't producing anything except an occasional followup so I walked several yards up the road to fish another larger pond area.

I gooed up the top water bait with some Pro-Cure and after two casts had a fish follow the bait only to miss it.  The water exploded under the Chug Bug but the fish never hooked itself.

My wife called and asked me when I was planning to head home so we could walk around the neighborhood together.  I told her I was just about to give it up for the day and hung up the phone.

I decided to try a couple more casts to the fish that missed the Chug Bug.

As luck would have it, on the very next cast a nice redfish blasted the Chug Bug and started peeling line off my reel.

Not wanting to lose the fish, I took my time and played the fish until it finally gave up the battle.  The 26" red made three more strong runs before I could finally gill it and hoist it on to the bank.



I got my Nikon and took these pics for this site before releasing the fish.

The sun was setting so I decided to leave the mosquitoes in the "swamp" and head home.

On the way out of the refuge I briefly stopped to see how a couple of other fishermen were doing.  They had four rods out with live finger mullet but were not having any luck.

When they asked me how I did, I told them the truth but I don't believe they believed me.

Anyway, as I headed home I wondered if any other Catfish Creek Loop redfish were caught this evening.

When I called Karen to tell her about my luck and that I was on my way, she became suddenly up to fishing the area tomorrow if the weather was decent.

Till next time, Tight Lines!

2 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Unknown said...

beautiful red! great blog John keep it up!

John Neila said...

Appreciate the comment, wish that Labor Day weekend was as productive for redfish.

All I managed to pick up was sea trout and ladyfish on top water plugs.