Sunday trout fishing on the Indian River

Monday, June 11, 2012

Sunday trout fishing on the Indian River was rather uneventful compared to Saturday's outing during a thunderstorm.

My wife and I decided to take Elmo out to get a "smoothie" and a fish sandwich at the local Burger King and drive by the river to see if anyone was catching any fish.

I packed up a few rods "just in case" and we headed out relatively late in the afternoon.

We didn't plan to go fishing because it was really too hot, so we just ate and took a slow drive around Peacocks Pocket road.

There were quite a few fishermen bank fishing but no one seemed to be catching anything or, if they were they weren't telling me about it.

The temperature was in the high 80s and there was a light wind over the Indian River.

Karen and I made a few stops where I saw sign of fish activity and we picked up a few slot size and smaller sea trout using Creme and Berkley "Fire Tiger" paddle tail baits.

We saw two redfish in the shallows but they weren't eating what I was trying to feed them so we moved on and continued "jump fishing" the area until the mosquitoes forced us back to the house.

Since I had a Dentist appointment this morning, I had to stay around the house catching up on bills and making phone calls.  Around 5:00 pm Karen suggested getting a frappaccino at StarBucks so I packed some rods and we headed to Merritt Island.

After sucking down our drinks, we toured the Banana River and eventually made our way to the fishing spots we hit yesterday.

Today the temperature was in the high 80s and the wind was negligible.

The spots where Karen and I caught trout yesterday didn't produce any fish.

Karen had the tail of her Creme paddle tail bait nipped off and had a couple of followups and I never had a hit.

We moved to another area that I seldom fish.

The brush along the marsh canal in this area makes casting a challenge and landing a fish extremely difficult however, the water is deeper and I correctly guessed that the fish were holding along the deeper edges.

I picked up four sea trout in about 20 minutes along a stretch that was less than 30 yards long.


Two fish were under size and the other two weren't much over the minimum but they were fun to catch.


The mosquitoes weren't bad today but the horse flies were miniature vampires.

We were surprised at the amount of visitors in the area today.   It looked like a holiday week end.

Anyway, we caught a couple more trout and were given a view of an awesome sunset.

 

Hope you enjoy it!

Till next time, Tight Lines.


0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: