Fishing With Spoiler Shad

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Trout fishing with spoiler shad baits has become a big thing with me lately.

It seems that almost every time I hit the river or the Mosquito Lagoon, the Creme spoiler shad is the first choice of baits.

This afternoon, my wife and Elmo didn't feel like fishing with me so I hit Bio Lab road and fished the shallows of the Mosquito Lagoon.

I began wade fishing about a quarter mile from the boat launch and about 50 yards from the bank.

The sea trout were hitting the 3" blue back spoiler shad that I was using but they were all smaller slot sized fish.

I was hoping for a red but I never got a hookup so after an hour or so, I trudged back to the truck and headed for the Indian River where I saw some big gator trout in an area last week.

On the way into the refuge, I spotted a huge solitary wild boar that had to go over 200 pounds.  I tried to get a good pic but only managed the out of focus shot below.


Moving to my usual fishing spots turned out to be a bummer.

I used the same baits but only got a few taps from smaller fish in the marsh canals.

The water was dead calm and the gators were out in force.


The big gator in the short video above prevented me from fishing one of my favorite spots but it really didn't matter much.

I only managed to pick up one small sea trout in the area and spooked a couple of nice reds.

Fishing with spoiler shad paddle tail baits isn't always a sure bet, but they do usually catch sea trout and redfish in the preserve.

Till next time,

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: