Playalinda Beach Was A Bust

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Playalinda Beach was a bust today as far as fishing was concerned but the surfers and sun goddesses had a great time.

I didn't get a chance to get out today until about 3:30 pm and since my wife didn't want to burn in the sun with me, I decided to hit Playalinda Beach to see what was hitting.

I stopped at several of the lower lots but there were too many surfers and beach goers to do any serious fishing.

 

I finally settled on parking lot #9 to start fishing.  There were beach goers but also a few fishermen who seemed to know what they were doing.

 

I brought along a bag of fresh dead bait shrimp that I picked up at the local bait shop and tied on a pompano rig with a 6 oz. pyramid sinker.

The tide was coming in and although there was not a heavy wind, the waves were heavy enough to make feeling a bite a problem.

Today I brought along two matched surf rods with Okuma bait runner reels.  One was loaded with 30# Power Pro and the other with 60# and a Krocodile spoon, just in case blues were in the surf.

To make a long story short, Playalinda Beach was a bust this afternoon.

The fish were biting well, especially around 6:00 pm but I couldn't hook anything on my three hook pompano rig.

It took about two hours to run completely out of bait.

I didn't feel too bad about it because the guys all around me were having the same problem.

There were a few croaker and small whiting being caught and except for a guy who landed a juvenile black drum, no one was catching anything of any size.

I thought about changing the khale hooks out on my pompano rig to small circle hooks but I didn't feel like walking back to the truck and leaving my gear alone on the beach.  So, I continued feeding the fish until the bait ran out.

I finally packed up my gear and headed home via Peacocks Pocket road.

I didn't feel like coming home skunked so I decided to see if I could lure up a few sea trout.

I used a Fire Tiger paddle tail bait and at my third stop picked up the small trout below.

I got a passerby to take the pic and put the fish back.

I made a quick run of the Pocket road and picked up two more small sea trout before calling it a day.

Although Playalinda Beach was a bust, Peacocks Pocket always seems to come through.

Till next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: