Skunked

Sunday, March 13, 2011

It's been some time since I've been Skunked, but today was just one of those days.

My wife, Elmo and I went to try the northern Indian River Lagoon shallows around Shiloh Marsh road.

We left the house around 3:00 p.m. and didn't get on to the potholed road until about 3:30 or so.

There was a mild breeze blowing and the temperature was in the high 70s.

I fished mostly D.O.A. C.A.L. Series Shad Tails and jerk baits with a couple of gold spoons scattered in just for grins. Karen fished dead shrimp under a Cajun Thunder.

We stopped in several likely looking places and both of us fished hard without even a bite until just before we decided to pack up and leave.

There were a lot of people in the area today and the ones I spoke with weren't having any better luck than we were.

One gentleman and his wife said he fished for several hours in several places where fish were roiling the surface, but never got a bite.

I could relate. In a couple of spots we stopped at, there were tons of finger mullet milling around and every once in a while a large fish would roil just below the surface. If the water was warmer, I would have bet that the fish were small tarpon but I just couldn't tell.

I'm not sure what or if they were feeding, but it sure wasn't anything resembling any of my offerings.

Top water baits, jerk baits, spoons, live bait, and even a tried and true Creme paddle tail bait never got a tap, until about 7:00 p.m.

I was casting into an open culvert with a D.O.A. Jerkbait where finger mullet were milling around and after the third cast or so I missed a hard strike that I was totally unprepared for. It was probably a large sea trout but I can't be sure.

Anyway, so much for catching!

Karen and I still had a nice time just enjoying the area, wearing out Elmo with his Mr. Gear toy and taking pictures of the scenery. Here is a short compilation of the area.



Man, I have got to get my boat out.

Till next time,

Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: