Another Late March Afternoon Fishing Trip At Peacocks Pocket

Saturday, March 12, 2011

There was a chill in the air but all in all the weather was just perfect for a late March afternoon fishing trip at Peacocks Pocket.

My wife and I planned on going out earlier in the day but some work problems cropped up and changed our plans.

It wasn't until about 3:30 this afternoon before Karen, Elmo and I got to pack our rods and head for the water.

We opted to fish the closest spots, which for us is the Indian River Lagoon from Peacocks Pocket Road, around Gator Creek, to SR 402.

There were a lot of out of town visitors driving through the area taking pics of the waterfowl and the beautiful scenery.


We started fishing the closed culverts just past the shallow water kayak launch at Peacocks Pocket.

It was a beautiful day for kayaking and I took a video of these two paddling in from the entrance of the Space Center.


There were several large schools of mullet in the river but nothing was chasing them close to shore.

My wife fished dead shrimp under a Cajun Thunder type popper bobber and I fished my usual array of top water and jerk baits.

After about a half hour of steady casting in the area with absolutely no bites, we decided to move up the road and scout for signs of fish.

Our second stop was also a fruitless effort, so we moved up towards another culvert that we sometimes fish.

I changed rods to fish a small glo white D.O.A.® C.A.L. Series Shad Tail swim bait behind a green jig head.

After many fruitless casts, I finally landed a barely slot sized redfish that followed the bait from the opposite bank of the canal.

The fish hit the lure in about a foot and a half of water and put up a surprisingly decent fight before giving it up.

I asked Karen to take some pics and put the fish back into the marsh canal to fight another day.

I walked the bank from where I caught the red and continued casting the same lure hoping for another redfish.

Today there was a slight wind on the river and almost no wind on the marsh canal. Because the temperature was in the mid 50s and the water was cold from the previous nights cold front, I opted to use a very slow but jerky retrieve.



Evidently it was the right recipe because after a few more casts, I picked up another fish.

This time it was a nice size sea trout about 20". The fish followed the bait and hit it just as it dropped to the bottom.

The fish put up a nice fight and first I thought I had on another redfish.

After landing the trout, I walked back to where Karen was fishing and got her to take another pic with my Nikon.

Karen had a nice bite on her shrimp but missed the fish. We both fished hard without another bite and because it was getting late and quite chilly, we decided to head for the hacienda.



On the way out of the Preserve I took some pics of the beautiful sunset.

The weather is supposed to be warmer tomorrow so we're hoping to get another afternoon of fishing in.

Till then,

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: