Saturday Night Shrimping On The Fishing Pier

Sunday, February 20, 2011

This Saturday night shrimping on the fishing pier was a pleasant change from sitting in front of the boob tube and vegetating.

I planned on taking out my Maverick flats boat with my wife and hitting the Mosquito Lagoon but I would up working on fixing the indexing valve on my sprinkler system instead. What a job!

Anyway, since I didn't get a chance to go fishing Saturday, I decided to check out the new fishing pier in Titusville first hand.

The pier can't be seen from the new fixed span A. Max Brewer bridge and I couldn't tell what if anything was going on until I pulled around into the detour road.

I parked underneath the bridge and pulled out my Nikon camera and one of my fishing rods tipped with a DOA CAL jerkbait.

A few people were shrimping along the sea wall on the south side of the bridge, but most of the people were on the pier and in the "watering hole" having a good time.

The night was windless and the moon was full. There was barely a ripple on the Indian River. The night was absolutely beautiful.

I took several pictures of the shrimpers doing their thing and the fishermen trying for sea trout or redfish.

The shrimpers weren't doing much good, but there were shrimp being caught. Several were nice sized jumbos.

I think they would have done much better with a wind to move the current and bring the shrimp up from the bottom. But who am I?

Anyway, since I didn't feel like sitting around the house, I started casting away from the shrimp lights and bringing my lure into the lighted zone.

I had several hits from small sea trout and missed one really good hit from either a large sea trout, a drum or a redfish.

The best hit came from the rocks just at the base of the restaurant where I was told some large gator trout were caught a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I didn't catch anything to brag about or take pictures of, but here are the pics I did take of the evening.


I just love being on the water with other fishermen and swapping stories. Saturday night shrimping on the fishing pier beats the hell out of vegetating in front of a TV set.

Till next time,

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: