Night Shrimping On The Indian River

Friday, January 22, 2010

Planned on getting out and making a few casts before dark, however I drove in from Savannah, Ga. and ran into some unexpected traffic and didn't get home early enough. After my last traffic stop by Volusia county, I try to keep it way under 95 mph! Just Kidding!!

Anyway my wife, Elmo and I drove down to the causeway bridge to see what was happening.

There were few fishermen on the water, and about a dozen or more shrimpers doing their thing from the bridge and a wooden fishing dock.

The old timers complained about the slow shrimping. Several told me that this time of the year should be when the shrimp begin to run in ernest, but the cold snap of the past week put the shrimp down. The general concences is that Feb. or March should be when they really turn on.

One thing is certain, the trout were there in droves and I suspect they were the main reason no one was loading up on the shrimp. The trout were eating everything in sight. The water column above the shrimp lights looked like a fish hatchery.


I took a couple of videos of the fish activity you all might find interesting. Turn down the audio unless you love the sound of generators.



The videos were taken about 7:45 . Later on in the evening, the big bull redfish come cruising in like miniature torpedos looking for a trout dinner, I suspect.

In any event, I hope to get out and bend a rod tomorrow. Till then.

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: