Max Brewer Causeway Bridge Closure

Friday, March 5, 2010

The Max Brewer Causeway Bridge, at Parrish Park on SR 406 has been closed since Feb 21, 2010.

Initially I believed it was due to the swing bridge being stuck, however several people I have spoken with said that the closure was due to the ongoing bridge construction. No one seems to have any idea when or if the bridge will be reopened to vehicle traffic.

Several subscribers emailed me on this and all I can report to date is that it is still closed.



For now, anyone wanting to launch their boat at the Parrish Park ramps, will have to enter the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge from North US 1, then going onto Kennedy Parkway (Co Hwy 3), and then to Max Brewer Memorial Parkway.


When I visited the bridge late this afternoon, I spoke with a couple of shrimpers to get an updated report.

The general consensus is that the shrimping still 'sucks' compared to prior years.

The gentleman in the picture has been wintering in Titusville, from his home in Ohio and shrimping here since the 80's. He said the shrimping has been gradually going downhill.



The colder than average weather, along with the commotion from the new bridge construction, has caused the shrimp to run deeper than normal, making them harder to net.

I was surprised that they were still loading their generators onto the bridge, even though it was officially closed, but I guess that's what die hard shrimpers do.

In any event Bart, I believe he said his name was, said that the last good shrimp run this year was back in late January, and that he was still hoping for better shrimping when the water gets a bit warmer.

Although he seemed genuinely disgusted with the shrimping, it couldn't have been that bad if he bothered to unpack all his gear and lug it on to the bridge for the night.

I might get out with my wife and our wonder dog Elmo tomorrow to try some fishing and get some fishing reports on both the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River Fishing.

Till then, Tight Lines and enjoy the pics!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: