Waterfowl Hunting On The North Indian River

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sunday afternoon seemed to be a good day to try our luck fishing.

The weather was beautiful and a bit windy, but getting out on the river for some fresh air seemed the thing to do.

My wife Karen, our wonder dog Elmo, and yours truly decided to try fishing the Shiloh Road area, just off of US 1, to see if the powers that be opened up the unimproved road that parallels the North part of the Indian River.

The area is noted for bruiser "bull" redfish and large gator trout. Tarpon and ladyfish can also be found here during certain times of the year.

Today, the trail was closed to everyone including the waterfowl hunters. Evidently only bike and foot traffic is now allowed in the area.

My wife rigged with fresh dead shrimp, and I started pitching a gold spoon at some wakes I saw in the shallow water.

The only thing I could dredge up was a couple of nice sized ladyfish. There were two redfish in the shallows that were well over the slot limit, but the clear water and a bad cast on my part, spooked them.

We only fished a little while but I did take a few pics of the waterfowl on the river.



As you can see, ducks were all over the place. A duckvention no doubt!

I don't keep up with the waterfowl season, but there were shotgun shells scattered around the area.

Anyway, enjoy the pics.

Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: