Temporary NASA Closure To Indian River Fishing

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Well, I'm glad to report that the fishing is still great on the northern Indian River area around Titusville and Mims, Florida.

The redfish are still schooling all over the place in the shallow flats, and the trout are always eager to slurp up properly presented baits.

The Shiloh Road, in the uppermost portion of the Indian River, is still closed to motor traffic, with the exception of motorcycles, bicycles and obviously, foot traffic. It's too bad because this is a very hot area for the 30 lb. plus redfish that cruise the shallows and the large gator trout that inhabit both sides of the road.

Peacock Pocket road was open until about 7:30 this evening when a NASA chopper politely told my wife and I to get the hell out of there.

Perhaps this is too strong, but we were hustled out of the area just about the time the fishing really gets good.

Friday evening, I fished the same area and picked up about 25 trout in a matter of about two hours time. I missed about half that amount again. They ranged from about 14" to 20" and I missed two trout that were definately in the gator trout category.

All were caught on 4" Chug Bug topwater lures and a white DOA paddletail jig. I've put up a couple of sample pics, just for the hell of it. Nothing to brag about but lots of fun to catch and release.

Sunday, my wife Karen, my wonder dog Elmo and yours truly, hit the same area but were run out just as the fishing was getting hot.

My wife wanted me to teach her how to fish a Chug Bug, and I obliged her as best I could. She gets frustrated, but is coming along quite well. She usually fishes with dead bait, but this time of the year, it doesn't produce as well as artificials.

She got a couple of hits and I picked up about 6 trout and missed another very large one just as the friendly NASA boys paid us a visit.


I forgot the shuttle was scheduled for a Tuesday evening launch, which is probably the reason for the closure.

They generally close it 2 days before, and 1 day after a shuttle launch. In any event, I'll be waiting eagerly for next weeks opening.

Till then; Tight Lines and good fishing to all!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: