The Dog Days Of August Are Upon Us!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

The temperatures are hovering in the low to mid 90s, and the water temperatures in both the Mosquito Lagoon, and Indian River, are warm enough to harbor the larger tarpon I've been trying to get for the past couple of weeks.

I've been getting reports of tarpon from 50 to 120 lbs in the Indian River and Mosquito Lagoons, but I've not personally hooked up with one of them yet.

I've seen mostly rolling fish in relatively shallow water, but schools of daisy chaining tarpon and laid up fish are all over the place.

I've missed several good sized tarpon on artificials, but still haven't put one in the boat!

It never ceases to amaze me how you can see a bunch of tarpon rolling all over the place, and every damn one of them with a case of lockjaw! I guess tarpon are acting like tarpon usually do!

Anything resembling a mullet seems to get their attention. My all time favorite lure has become a Chug Bug topwater lure. The big trout and redfish love it, and every now and then I'll get a hit from a tarpon.

The trout in the Indian River have been running in the slot to 24 inches with an occasional gator trout between 5 and 10 pounds being caught. They are everywhere and relatively easy to catch. The best time to get a big one, for me, is just before dusk.

Again, the best baits to use are top water lures, D.O.A. Baitbusters, jerkbaits and live pigfish under a Cajun Thunder bobber, or free lined.

My wife has still been using her tried and true shrimp under a bobber rig, with minimal success.

If you're going fishing during the month of August, better go very early, or late in the afternoon. This is and continues to be the most productive times to be on the water.

Didn't get any good fish pics this weekend except for some trout that didn't come out right so I'll pass on the photos.

Till next week, tight lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: