Fishing East Gator Creek

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Finally got a chance to wet a line this afternoon at East Gator Creek.


This was my first chance since I got home from North Carolina to go fishing so I picked the closest area available to hopefully catch some fish.

When I got to East Gator Creek, there was a decent breeze on the water which made topwater casting a bit of a challenge.  

I brought three rods along each tipped with a Badonk A Donk, a Bass Pro XTS popper, and a XPS Slim Dog topwater bait.

I had a box of Chug Bugs in the back with a few DOA lures just in case, but on this trip, I never got a chance to use them.

I already completed my walk for the day and it was around 6:00 pm when I tossed my first lure on the flats.  


The  XTS topwater popper I was using was black on top with a silver/white belly below.  I smeared it up with some Pro-Cure Inshore formula gel to spice up the bait and started blind casting the area.

After many casts around the grassy flats I finally hooked and landed a ladyfish of around 15" that jumped all over the place before giving it up.


In the next hour or so, I managed to hook and land two more smaller ladyfish around the same area.

I moved up the road and started casting to the far side of the flat where a deep dropoff paralleled the weedy shallow flat where I saw a fin break the surface.

I made several casts across to the deeper water and finally got a follow up from a juvenile tarpon.  The fish looked like it was interested in my bait but even with the Pro-Cure, it had lockjaw.

Several unproductive casts later, I finally decided to give it up and run around Catfish Creek loop to see if anybody was catching fish.

I saw several groups of fishermen dunking live mullet and cut baits but nobody admitted to having caught anything.

I took a few pics of the sunset as I was going around Catfish Creek 



By the time I finished circling the road, the full moon was coming up and I decided to head for home.


Hopefully, I'll get out to wet a line in the next couple of days.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.






































0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: