More Late Afternoon Topwater Action

Sunday, July 25, 2021

Around 5:00 pm I decided to walk the bridge and check out the fishing in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.


The weather was balmy as I trudged the A. Max Brewer bridge to get in my daily exercise and I was sweaty when I got back to the truck.

I had good luck fishing yesterday so I decided to get in more late afternoon topwater action on the flats.
 
As I entered the refuge, I passed the culvert and noticed some activity in the shallows but I decided to pass it up and head towards where I caught fish yesterday evening.

As I drove slowly towards the spot, I spotted some tailing action on the other side of the road.

I parked and took a video of some very large black drum tailing the muddy flat.  The wind was blowing just enough to ripple the water and give the drum enough cover to feed in the area.

Click on the pic below.


I was going to switch to a DOA jerkbait or a Saltwater Assassin paddletail lure but I forgot to bring my tackle boxes and was stuck with the four topwater baits I had tied onto the rods I brought along.

Shitty planning.....  Anyway, I watched the fish for a while before moving down the road to do what I do best.

This afternoon was a clone of yesterday's fishing trip.  I hooked and shook off a nice ladyfish that I hooked on a Badonk A Donk topwater bait at the first place I stopped and managed to land three more small ladyfish.  The smallest one hooked itself on the nose and tail and came in like a wet rag.


Two more casts after I released the lady, I hooked into a sea trout that I also released.



I continued to catch and release a total of 7 ladyfish and three spotted sea trout.  All were caught on a Badonk A Donk topwater bait smeared up with Pro-Cure gel.

This was the first fishing trip where I had to stop fishing because I couldn't cast anymore.  I sprained my wrist and even though I had it wrapped, the pain just got to me.

On the way out of the refuge, I passed by several anglers dunking baits but I didn't bother asking how they were doing.  It looked like most were just having a great Sunday afternoon outing.

Till next time, Tight Lines.
99

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: