Late Afternoon Topwater Action

Saturday, June 26, 2021

Finally got a chance to get out of the house to wet a line and get in some topwater action with some ladyfish this afternoon.


I didn't get out until quite late and it had just stopped raining when I got to the grassy flats I usually fish.

The wind put a nice ripple on the water and was blowing right into my face, making casting and working a topwater bait a challenge.


I started fishing with a gold and black back BadonkADonk topwater lure smeared up with some Pro-Cure.

I'd like to say that I nailed the hell out of the fish but I had to work for every bite I managed to eke out.

After several unfruitful casts and a couple of birds nests in the Power Pro I was using, I finally picked up a ladyfish that hit the topwater and danced all over the flats before giving it up.


I took a quick pic before releasing the fish and continued casting into the wind.

I caught two more ladys about the same size as the first fish and released them both before moving on to an area that was less windy.

At this spot I changed baits and started tossing a Bass Pro topwater bait I picked up on sale when I was working in Mobile, Al.

After several casts and a couple of follow ups, I hooked into a small tarpon that made two jumps right at the bank before pulling off.

I spent the next half hour casting, hooking and releasing all sizes of ladyfish that just couldn't leave the smaller topwater plug alone.

Finally, after a 7' gator started getting too interested in my topwater baits, I decided to head for home and call it a day.

In total I managed to hook, land, and release seven ladyfish in all sizes.  


I just had to take a pic of the smallest one I hooked who had an appetite of a gator trout and the mouth of a guppy.

Till next time, Tight Lines.
 

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: