Ladyfish On The Flats

Sunday, April 25, 2021

After walking across the A. Max Brewer Bridge twice, I decided to try catching some ladyfish on the flats in East Gator Creek. 


 As I drove across the bridge, I took a pic of the crowd on the north side of the causeway.  Despite the windy conditions, there were tons of people out today wind boarding, fishing, cooking out and generally having a good time. 


It was around 5:30 pm when I drove into the entrance of East Gator Creek.  I drove slowly watching for fish busting on baitfish in the grass.


About a hundred yards down the road, I spotted some action on the eastern side of the flats along a drop off, so I parked and pulled out my rods.

I had some luck on a Bass Pro Special Tourney Popper a couple of days ago so I decided to try it first.

I smeared the bait with some Pro-Cure and on my first cast across the flats hooked and landed a small ladyfish that danced across the water several times on it's tail.

I released the fish and continued casting around the area and hooked into a second fish about the same size as the first.



After several more casts closer in on the grass, I hooked and lost a medium sized sea trout that nailed the popper at the edge of the grass.

I spent about an hour at the spot and managed to hook and release five ladyfish before calling it a day.  

I missed or lost at least seven fish in the same area.

There was a lot of vehicle traffic on the road but for some reason nobody was fishing the area.

On the way out just past the culverts, there was a group fishing on the mud bank at the entrance to Catfish Creek Loop with on idiot swimming with his fishing rod chest deep in the middle of the area.  

I was going to stop to take his picture and tell him about the 10 foot gator that calls this area home, but I decided that it probably wouldn't do any good.

Hope I don't read about him in the news tomorrow.....

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: