Tough Fishing On Bio Lab

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Since it was raining and I hadn't had a chance to wet a line in awhile, I decided to scout out some areas and possibly snag a sea trout or two.


I got some gas and headed out to Shiloh Road off of US 1.

When I got to the first culvert, I noticed a KSC officer with binoculars checking something out so I continued to the barrier at the shallow kayak launch.,

Other than a lot of water birds in the area, I saw no sign of fish activity.  

Undaunted, I pulled on my Frog Toggs and started tossing a topwater Chug Bug around the shallow marsh.    It took me about 20 casts or so before I was convinced that no fish were in the area and moved on.

On the way out, the KSC vehicle was gone so I pulled out another rod with a Creme Spoiler Shad and tossed it around both sides of the road, again with no results.

The rain slacked up a bit so I headed to Patillo Creek Road to check it out.

There were two fishermen in kayaks fishing the mangrove shoreline and two other groups of fishermen dunking shrimp for black drum.  None of the bank fishermen had any luck and after tossing a Johnson Sprite, the Creme Shad, and an XPS topwater around several areas without a single follow up or hit; I decided to move on to greener pastures.

I drove up to the north barrier and fished the small pond and cove on both sides of the road with several lures and again, no luck.  


Another guy who was walking back to his car with a bucket of live shrimp told me he was also getting skunked.

I left Patillo and drove around the north bank of Haulover Canal to see how those guys were doing. 





There were plenty of people fishing from boats and from the bank but nobody seemed to be catching anything.  The rain had stopped and everybody seemed to be having a good time just enjoying the day.

I stopped along the bank to take a pic of some buzzards competing with a Blue Heron and tossed around a gold Johnson Sprite spoon for about a half an hour, but never got a hit.

I decided to give Bio Lab road a shot just for the hell of it before heading home so I pulled into the first culvert and spotted a medium size tarpon floating along the bank at the culvert.  

I took a couple of pics of the decaying fish and a buzzard trying to figure out how to get a meal from the fish before pushing on.



There were a few anglers fishing the banks on the Mosquito Lagoon side of the road for black drum and reds, but the two guys I spoke with said the bite today was dismal.  I agreed, wished them luck and kept on the road to a spot I usually am able to pick up a few snook.

As I was driving down the narrow unimproved one way road, I almost got run over by an EMS vehicle and a couple of KSC (Kennedy Space Center) patrol cars.  


I pulled over and took a video of the action wondering what was going on as three more KFC vehicles rushed down the road.

As I pulled into the spot I wanted to fish, two more KSC vehicles drove past me before I had a chance to park.


A couple who were crabbing at the culvert where I planned to fish were leaving so I asked them if they caught anything.  The guy said the fishing was horrible and the crabs weren't cooperating either.  

He also told me that the KSC officer who he spoke with said a boat had capsized and if I heard a whistle to call 911 and report where it was coming from.

I never heard a whistle and after tossing several artificial baits around several areas, never got a hit.

At this point I finally decided that I was skunked, so I packed all the rods into the back of the truck and headed home to get something to eat.

The launch scheduled for this morning was rescheduled for tomorrow at 10:00 am so I may give it another shot after the launch, if it goes up.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: