Fishing Peacocks Pocket Road

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Fishing Peacocks Pocket Road is something I occasionally do to get some exercise, and since it was an awesome afternoon, I decided to pack  couple of rods and go on a walkabout.


When I drove into East Gator Creek, I stopped a couple of times to toss a Creme Spoiler Shad and a couple of topwater baits around the dropoffs in the shallow flats.

I missed a couple of small trout and hooked and released three nice ladyfish that gave me a quite a show of jumping.



When I finally meandered to the barrier at Peacocks Pocket road, I parked and took two rods, a bottle of Pro Cure, a Chug Bug, a few extra Spoiler Shads, and a small MirroLure suspending bait with me in case I lost some lures along the bank.

I got to the first pond and managed to hook into a small dink trout that I released.


It hit the spoiler shad as I pulled it off the very shallow flat into the deeper canal along the bank.

Feeling good about the bite, I continued up the way and heard a large fish busting bait along the bank.  I tried to cast to the fish when I got into range but the brush along the bank made a good cast impossible.


After fishing two more spots without another bite or even a followup, I decided to walk back to the truck and try another area.

It was around 4:30 pm and some clouds were overhead that looked like rain.  The air temperature dropped and as I got close to the culvert at the wire rope barrier, I noticed a lot of activity around the flowing culvert.

I stood back from the culvert and started casting the paddletail bait to the opposite bank  and pulling it slowly back towards the flowing water.


Almost immediately I got a bump and then a solid hookup with a small sea trout.

I landed the fish, took a quick pic and released it to grow up.



I continued fishing the culvert until dark and managed to hook and release at least a dozen more under slot sea trout before the bite stopped and it was too dark to cast.

There is a magic hour or so right before sunset when the sea trout bite turns on, and this afternoon I hit it perfectly.  Too bad the fish were so damn small.



A front is coming through tonight and will probably put the fish down but I still hope to get out again tomorrow to try another area.  

Till next time,
Tight LInes.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: